Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 5 #12DaysofChristmas #SeasonofGiving: Caleb's Story

Sorry this is late folks- but when you're a SAHM of 4... sometimes, duty calls! ;)

I have been attempting to keep the FB wall at least up to date with the latest in steals, deals, and ways to give!

Here is an incredible story from my friend, Elita. She has an incredible inspiring story to share of faith, love, and miracles... all which encompass the true #reasonfortheseason. GET HER iTUNE by searching for artist Elita Galvin, or song name: I Know You're Good.

Elita, and her own photo credit ;)



Sometimes in life the rare opportunity comes along to help someone else, and blesses you in ways you could have never imagined.  And sometimes those opportunities come in the form of the littlest people...

photo courtesy of Elita Galvin

Little Caleb Ravina was born in December of 2010 with a disease called biliary atresia.  This disease attacks the liver, and in Caleb’s case meant this little guy would need a big surgery by his first birthday…a liver transplant.  Without it, his chances of survival would be non-existent.

Caleb’s mom and I became fast friends as kids at our church Sunday School growing up.  She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met, and already had one son who had some major (albeit non-life threatening) medical issues of his own.  She moved to Washington state several years ago to be closer to her mom, who had re-married and re-located from their native Maine.

When I first heard from her about Caleb’s condition and all that it entailed, one of my first feelings was helplessness.  I don’t live anywhere near close enough to be of any physical help, and we aren’t exactly rolling in money at our house. What could we do? 

Caleb's mom and I used to sing in a choir as teenagers, and I have always loved to write and sing.  My husband suggested that I find a way to leverage that musical talent and connection.  This simple idea took on a life of its own, it turned into an amazing opportunity to bless and be blessed by this adorable baby boy who had somehow found his way straight to our hearts even though we had never met him, and maybe never will. 

----------------------------
I wrote a song based on the Facebook posts I was seeing from Lindsey, Caleb's mom. She was also positive, and her faith was so strong and deep that it made me take a long, hard look at my own.  

Writing the song was just the first step; 

My dad, who is a brilliant pianist, had already heard the song, loved it, loved the idea of using to help Caleb even more, and had agreed to play it.   
* Corey DeRoche, who happens to be an excellent guitarist, found out about the project and offered his recording space.  

As we sat down together and began to talk it through, we realized this project had the potential to be a whole lot more special.  We decided to talk to a couple of our friends at the church where I grew up and see if we could record it live, right there in the church where Lindsey and I had met, gone to Sunday School together, and sung together with our friends.

* Our friend Isaac West agreed to record and mix for us.  
* Tim Chalifour, agreed to lend his incredible vocals 
* and another friend, Justin Havu, sat in on the drums. 

 In March, we submitted the song, and all held our breaths as we waited to see if the song would be accepted and released on iTunes.  
 
In the meantime, Caleb had already surpassed all expectations and his first birthday came and went and he was still with us.  However, he was not doing well and we all realized that even if the song was released, without a miracle for Caleb, he wouldn’t be with us much longer.

Monday, April 2 was a normal day for most people I’m sure.  For myself and for Lindsey, it was an amazing day we will never forget.  It will forever stand out as the day we saw first-hand that God does hear us, and that miracles happen.  

April 2, 2012, the song I wrote for Caleb, recorded with all our wonderful friends and my dad, was released on iTunes.  On the very same afternoon, in a twist of fate we never could have imagined, planned, or anticipated; Caleb got his liver transplant. 




To date Caleb is doing well all things considered.  He has good days and bad days, and he has a long road ahead of him.  I get to see his life in pictures and in the stories his mom tells me on the phone.  Someday, I hope to meet this little boy who changed my life in a big way.  Because through him and his incredible mom, I learned the meaning of faith in a whole new way.  I learned that I can do anything I set my mind to. I learned that no gift, no talent is too small to be used for good for someone else.  

You can help too!  Caleb’s song, as we affectionately call it, is called “I Know You’re Good” under the artist name Elita Galvin.  Every penny of the proceeds will go directly to help Caleb in his continued journey.  To learn more about Caleb and his journey, you can also follow his facebook page www.facebook.com/hope4caleb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment