Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Easter Books for Kids: Are YOU sending the right message?

Want some nice Easter books for your kidlets that have a nice balance between explaining the real story and the Easter bunny? Here are the ones we have in OUR house and are enjoying this week and next ;) 

The Easter Storywithout needing much explanation, tells the true story of Easter

The Story of Easter   has great pictures, and also sticks more closely to the true story of Easter

What is Easter?   is a great compromise! A light, rhyming, fun tale that differentiates between the Easter bunny, jelly beans, dressing up- and the story of Jesus' resurrection. 




 In other news: 

Our kiddos are getting some new books in their Easter baskets this year, so I thought I'd share for those of you that can benefit; 


Standing on My Own Two Feet    
 This has been Spidermans' favorite book since I first bought it for him when he was just over a year old. All the pages are torn and now there are two missing, so he is getting a brand new copy in his basket! <3 This is a great tale that compares the child's two feet- with his/her two homes, two schedules, etc. and that mom and dad both love him/her no matter what <3



Mommy, What is Celiac Disease?  

This one is obviously going to be for baby A (well, and Baby B- but she won't appreciate it yet ;)) I just found it on Pinterest the other day, and thought to look it up today! I will keep you posted once I get it in how good of a read it is for the little ones! <3

Easter In Our House: 

I typically boycott all the hullabaloo that goes along with the commercialization of Easter. Not for any religious opposition, but simply because I hate it. I hate spending money on cheap crap . I avoid candy like the plague, because frankly, my kids go insane. We decorate eggs, and the "Easter bunny" hides them around the house. 

Although honestly, I'm not sure even my kids believe the some big bunny comes tromping though our house to hide EGGS! But whatever, the hunt is fun, and the kids get baskets at the breakfast table. Here is what we did last year: 


 We decorated our eggs (which we then eat btw- nothing goes to waste here!) We got biodegradable easter grass and each basket ($1.00 section at Target) hold 2 pieces of egg shaped sidewalk chalk, and they each got a new chapstick (also the $1.00 section at Target).  

Two easy, and low waste, and NO CANDY Easter baskets for less then $10.00. 

What have you done to "green up" your Easter? 


photo compliments of Christine Barney
 

And don't forget! You can always find items featured here in the blog, and others that are NNM approved at the NurtureMe Store  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment