Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Putting the SKOY cloth to the test!




Natural Family Supplies is an amazing website with 'green' gear for the whole family! Initially I had checked it out for it's cloth diaper selection, but pleasantly found many green home products I had been looking for! 

About the store and blog:

As you'll see from their About Us page, Natural Family Supplies started off as many mommy-businesses do. Nicole & Jeremiah discovered they were pregnant, and wanted the natural products that fit their family but with the same convenient accessibility as disposable options. 

After much research and experimentation, they found their favorites, and decided to share them with their community, then to all of US by offering online ordering!  (YAY!) :) 

Their blog follows their business, and their natural life in the mountains! Homeschooling, concerts, products, parenting, and everything in between!!


The SKOY Cloth: 

So, if you're anything like me, you do your best to be 'green' but certainly still have some work to do. I use plastic trash bags, and paper napkins, and yes, sometimes even paper plates (gasp!). But one item that always bothers me in my kitchen, not only because of the PRICE (ugh!), but because we seem to go through so MUCH of them- is paper towels. 

I am sick of paper towel rolls in my kitchen. 

I am sick of the cardboard insert being used as a weapon by my 3 yr old. 

I am sick of the dish towel that I leave on the stove (and now the one I leave on the sink, since no one was using the one on the stove) remaining clean and untouched for weeks, while I continue to purchase rolls of this paper that fills my garbage can (granted, lined with a plastic trash bag- but that's not the point!)

Ladies and gentlemen, enter.... The SKOY Cloth. 100% biodegradable, absorbent, re usable cloth that can be used in your kitchen, bathroom, ANYWHERE in your home! 

"The SKOY cloth is a durable product due to the reusability factor and can last months.  Using a SKOY cloth is equivalent to using 15 rolls of paper towels in an average home.  With the high cost of paper towels, as much as $2 per roll, SKOY cloth is the obvious choice for your wallet and the environment."
- direct from SKOY cloth website



So how did the SKOY cloth stand up in my house of 5? No lie, incredible. 

- SUPER absorbent
- Cleans baby mess, food, barf, etc :) 
- I had the 'luxury' of getting to try it on dog vomit in the carpet.... greeeeat.... but it worked FABULOUS! A little Nature's Miracle and we were good to go! And no little paper towel pieces grinded into the carpet!
- Mess around the sink after doing dishes? Done.
- Food stuck to the stove after making dinner? Done. (although it did take a little added elbow grease from my new greener-clean sponge :) )
- toddler finger painting in the kitchen, and all over the floor? Done. 
- teen spill soda? Done. 
- hubby spill beer? Done. 

And after a few days? Just stuck it in the microwave to sterilize. It's now been a few weeks, and I have several of them in my dishwasher washing up for their next several months of use!

Best part??
2 packs seem to be the going amount for a family of my size, and each pack is only $ 6. 99 for 4 cloths! Savings from buying paper towels?? Well, in my house, we were (sadly) going through at least 2 rolls per week. Over a month? That's over $12! In one month! 

The cost savings, and environmental savings (plus, I'm saving on trash bags since I'm not filling them up with paper towels :)) = HUGE SCORE for this family! 

What is your favorite product from Natural Family Supplies ?



 * Don't forget to check out their GEAR TO GO GREEN Sweepstakes in honor of Earth Day (which is April 22nd, 2011)



4 comments:

  1. Oooh - this is exciting! I'll have to give them a try.

    How *fortunate* you were able to test them on such challenges of dog vomit. Family is so good about complying - you know, for the sake of science of course... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL right? My dog is alwayyyyys wanting to be the guinea pig :) Lucky me :)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I finally know what I can use mine for, my mom gave me some and I wasn't sure what to do with them.

    How do you sterilize the cloths if you don't have a microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russellbug, check out their use and care section:

    http://www.skoycloth.com/index_files/usecare.htm

    but you can wash them in the dishwasher or washer machine as well and just ring them out after. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete