Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicken Soup Recipe, as promised.

So while I am well aware I should leave the food blogging to my sister, Michelle Collins, I can't help but share the chicken soup "recipe" that I typically use to get the most out of my $0.99/lb whole chicken (from Hannaford).

The glory of this dish is that it lasts at least 3 more meals, and all we paid was around $3.00 for the whole chicken (which we roasted the other night and ate with the rutabaga casserole ). Additionally, you can use whatever ingredients you have in your pantry. I have made several variations of this recipe in the last few months, but here's the latest :)

take your chicken carcass and leftover meat and put in a stockpot and cover with water.
add a little olive oil and salt and pepper and bring to a boil
add any root vegetables ( I added onions and carrots this time)
boil until meat falls off the bone, usually about 20 minutes
add any other seasonings you wish. I always add Simply Organic Cumin, Paprika, Crushed Red Pepper, and Rosemary.

remove chicken carcass and debone it. I just use a fork and shred it off the bone.
add 1 and 1/2 cups brown rice and 10 ounces frozen spinach (they'll both cook in the boiling water)
add chicken back to the pot and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

then Enjoy!!

What's your favorite chicken soup recipe?

For additional budget-friendly recipes, please visit The Economical Eater

1 comment: